Summertime, is the season of seafood, fresh veggies, and nourishing drinks. One of America’s most beloved summer treats is Creamy Corn Chowder, loaded with the sweet and flavorful sweet corn, creamy texture, crispiness from bacon, and heartiness of potato. It is one of the most satisfying meals you can get, and the best thing is, that can be made as one pot meal for everyone.
Got leftover corn soup? Wanted to improvise, and make something much more flavorful than canned corn soup? Then you have to try out this creamy corn chowder recipe worth dying for, and definitely, everyone will start to ask for a second plate. See also our other various American beloved home-cooked meal recipes, from Cajun Grilled corn, Cajun fried chicken, and creamy corn pasta.
The Recipes for Creamy Corn Chowder
It is a fulfilling dish, with the delicate balance of sweetness from corn, crispy and saltiness from bacon, and heartiness from the potatoes. It offers the most robust broth, flavorful, and thick creaminess that is worth dying for, and irresistible.
You can use frozen corn, or canned corn, however, fresh corn is the best served, You can also add more seasonal or frozen veggies like peas, and carrots, alongside many other proteins like beef, and chicken. So, without further ado, here is the recipe for Creamy Corn Chowder:
- 3 Cloves of Garlic (Minced, or Crushed) – Essential, you will need at least 3 cloves, but if you are making more portions, or wanted more kick in the spice, feel free to add one more.
- Onion – Basic soup stock for every classic American soup recipe.
- Celery – Just like Onion, it is also a basic ingredient for the American Soup
- Carrots – Diced or Julienne, the Carrots add more sweetness and texture to the soup.
- 1 Ounce Flour – Thickening agent you will need for creamy corn chowder
- Chicken Broth – Base of your soup, adding more depth of flavor to your soup, use at least one can, or 32 oz of the container, at least 4 cups.
- Bacon – Strips of bacon, you can also alternate this between chicken meats, or beef if you want more variations.
- Corn – Ideally fresh corn, but frozen or canned sweet corn works too, especially if you are trying to recycle some old leftover corn.
- Cream – To further thicken the soup, and add more creamy consistency.
- Potatoes – The best kind of potato to use in chowder is russet potato, as they are nice, starchy, and big enough, but all kinds of potato work too, even baby potato.
- Cayenne Pepper – Additional kick in the spice, to add more warmth and spicy. If you like it, you can add more spice, like Jalapeno to create spicy chowder.
- Italian Seasoning – Classic Italian seasoning, dried herbs, such as oregano, thyme, and rosemary that go well in many classic dishes. It should come in handy in various dishes such as this creamy corn chowder.
How to Make Creamy Corn Chowder:
Prep the ingredients first:
- Peel the potatoes and carrots, peel the garlic, and chop the onion.
- Chop the onion, and dice the carrots and potatoes to small bite sizes.
- Slice the celery. And slice the corn.
Prepare all the vegetables in the bowl after finishing preparing and chopping them, minced garlic, onion, celery, carrots, corn, and potatoes.
Now, fry the bacon, cook it until the fats come out, and until crispy, use the soup pot for this. Now transfer the bacon to a paper towel, but leave the fat in the pot. We will use the bacon fat to sauté Garlic. Sauté garlic first, right until yellowed, but don’t let the garlic burnt. Now, add celery, onion, and carrots, then sauté them together.
Now, add in a bit of chicken stock as your base soup, then add flour bit by bit, and stir it well. Stir the soup until the flour dissolves. Make sure to check it for the correct creamy consistency, here add the cream too.
- Scrape up the brown bits left by crispy bacon, and stir them well into the soup
- Add all of the corn, potatoes, a bit of salt, Italian seasoning, and Cayenne pepper, then add all of the bacon.
- Bring it to boil, then simmer it
- Check until the potatoes are all cooked and tender.
- Season it with pepper, and salt, don’t forget to check the taste
- Garnish it with parsley and spring onion
- Then serve it well.